Saturday, October 20, 2007

Something I Do

I really hope I can have a copy of Windows Server 2003! I'm running Windows XP on my Dell SC420 PowerEdge server, and it's just not the same without Windows Server! I've got no choice but to use the Wireless Internet, which I'm sure puts me in violation of some license agreement with some company, but I've got no choice at this point because it seems there are no network drivers for this machine's NIC in Windows XP!

Same goes for the on-board video and also probably the RAID chipset as well.

So why did you do that Mr. Dell-Gates? I can't afford to pay you whatever you seem to think the fair market value of this software is, and the hardware was delivered by one of your employees. When I received it, the included software was a release of FreeBSD, and that is certainly within your rights as a software provider, to redistribute BSD licensed software. But just because you put a box in my office, is that a good reason to owe you money?

Your license agreement would have me believe so... well, where I come from we charge a fee for storage. What do you think about that?

I checked on the list of supported operating systems, and I guess I'm supposed to be using Windows Server 2003 or Enterprise Server. I've got copies of both through the Microsoft MSDN Academic Alliance. But I keep telling people I'm not a student anymore... it does actually help to avoid drunken fratties and I can't just show up and tell some story about the hard work I've been doing in all my classes.

Still I go sometimes. These are my brothers, right?

So I'm not sure if I can use these softwares anymore without receiving Dell and Microsoft's both OK. I've asked permission to lie to a computer before, and received consent, while employed by RIT. I'm no longer employed by the university, and my lease on hard-line internet is almost up.

So can I still have my own office after November?

No comments: