Tuesday, June 5, 2007

File Server Upgrades

Just purchased two 500GB drives and set them up in a spare server as a Local Area Network fileserver for the tuesday.local domain that I have running in my office at Venture Creations. I'm copying 300GB of data over from other servers as backups, before I start changing things around again I am nervous about doing that sort of thing. The last time I changed anything at all in my Windows network, (this is a VMWare Server upgrade from 1.0.1 to 1.0.3 to which I am referring, gone slightly awry) I wound up hosing my entire cluster!

Fortunately my developers have been on holiday and they didn't seem to notice the disturbance until a couple of days ago. Anyway I'm about to completely refactor the main VMWare Server cluster by reformatting the main server and stripping down to bare minimum services, then probably add another one or two servers to the virtualization cluster. Maybe I'll even have a go at configuring Xen on one of the Debian servers! This progression should happen in fairly short order if time and funding permits.

I'm now about 52GB through the backup process and this is going to take hours. I'm going to take a break from computers and do the dishes!

1 comment:

Kingdon said...

Just reached 230GB, started populating my fileserver with an Ubuntu ISO mirror also. Maybe I can find an excuse to get gigabit direct into my office, or maybe I can move back into a bigger office?