Wednesday, June 13, 2007

New Router, New PC

Got myself some new hardware to kickstart the revolution, and I'm setting it up this afternoon. Thanks again, RIT, for the fat pipes; this Windows Update procedure used to take me a day and a half. Thanks to your internets, it only takes a half day.

Basic Tuesday Studios services are still down as of the last router's most recent failure. The new router is in place and I'm performing a service inventory while I start forwarding ports. Notes go here:

  1. DNS - hosted on hobo11 for now
  2. SVN - hosted directly from hobo11, migrate to virtualized infrastructure
  3. RDP/VNC - All of the machines on the local subnet should have their desktops shared by RDP or VNC. For now this is necessary, to curb the expense of a monitor at every machine and sidestep the impossible task of setting up 5 or 6 workstations in a single room. I need to invest in more lateral space.
  4. OpenVPN - Now that we've got some workstations, it would be best if some of the freestanding nodes like Irie were connected virtually to the local office network, and had access to some of the services like printing, file sharing, and local DNS and WINS information.
  5. tuesdaystudios.com Web Server and Apache Virtual Hosting - We have acquired some clients. Time to set up some kind of makeshift CRM database and get in contact with all of these people, to see what they want. Lets put up "Under Construction" pages for each of these people at least, and find an external service to start tracking the reliability of our servers.
  6. mail.tuesdaystudios.com - Mail has been intermittent at best lately. This is due to DNS server outages which should be resolved with this new router at the office. Still, it would be best to set up a few remote hosts in places with reliable network connections, as slave DNS. We do have the resources for this.

These are reasonable goals up through #4 at least for tonight. Before I post again, I mean to take care of all of these issues. I expect I will wind up finishing with #2 around 8pm, and of course by finishing I mean hitting the virtualization wall. VMWare and Windows is a whole lot more difficult to administer properly across a network. Live notes are rolling as always on My Delicious Feed.

3 comments:

Kingdon said...

Having trouble bringing my new router back online at all; it was working fine for a time but now I'm using the built in wireless on my new PC just to get on the internet.

One more try at establishing remote access, then I'm going home for a while...

Kingdon said...

Got Irie (the new workstation) configured pretty well with Windows Vista. The new router is in place and forwarding some stuff to Hobo11. I think I can set up an IPSec tunnel between home and office at this point, using only the routers.

Going to take a sojourn to my place and find out. I have this picture in my head of lights going on and blinky things all synchronizing all of a sudden; are we in business?

Kingdon said...

Not quite finished. Tomorrow is another day.