Sunday, December 30, 2007

Doctor HP Says: Howdy!

I wrote this in January (1/13/07) responding to a personal ad on craigslist and I stumbled onto it while looking for a contact at HP, somebody I met at RIT in the Golisano College who had a pretty interesting chat with me about language and computational linguistics. If that guy was a doctor, he might have meant to diagnose me.

I think he was saying something like this: save yourself!

This photo is pretty representative of my personality: the cigarette-smoking buddha. It's a vile habit of course, that I haven't quite kicked completely. There's no good reason for that, but I've got plenty of excuses if you're interested:

In my defense, I was voted "Scholar of the Year" in my fraternity... read that again if it doesn't sound like the Oxymoron of the Year. Point being I'm living alone for the first time in my life, since October. I don't see much of my friends (the best of them are smokers), and when I do, I tend to go to great lengths to relate.

That being said, if you and I are to meet in person, I will certainly be very self-conscious of smelling like smoke, and I'm likely not to smoke for at least 48 hours in advance! I'm generally a pretty quiet person in person, don't really like to talk about myself as I feel like I end up repeating the same resume/laundry list every time. Perhaps I'm in an introverted phase of my life right now, but I am a great listener and I enjoy talking one-on-one, and getting to know good people.

I'm not really into video games but I think it's great that you are! I had my fill of playing games constantly in high school, but I do a lot of watching (erm, call it research) when I visit with friends... the coolest game I have seen lately is Guitar Hero, and the most highly overrated is certainly World of Warcraft.

What a crock. Computers are awful for your personal well-being. At least my brothers are smart enough to spell my name wrong on the Scholar of the Year plaque. GO PHI DELT!

No comments: