Wednesday, July 25, 2007

E-mail Cake and Obsolete Software

Woe is me! It was nice knowing you modauthkerb, but I grow weary of rigid frameworks and have failed to find value in the well-designed but unmanaged and varied implementations of Kerberos; hopefully pam-http and Subversion with htpasswd will serve my needs from now on. I unsubscribed myself from that mailing list as well as the xorg developer community, I was never truly at home with you people.

On the bright side, my e-mail inbox has been freed up for off-site network storage! Now if I can get my disk requirements under 2.8GB, and so long as Google never kicks the bucket or pulls the rug out from under this free e-mail service of theirs, I can have an attempt at compliance with sane and reasonable procedures for off-site data backup without carrying disks full of important data from place to place, and without incurring a separate rent roll for a server or server farm.

Neat! However that's not happening any time soon. One large 700GB filesystem sits on my RAID5 array on the server called Sheng, and a pair of filesystems is spread across two 500GB disks on Blackruby using LVM. With both servers running at capacity, there is no way to produce a backup, so we will have to settle for dueling banjos. Still, I'm not sure that this business of data retention will ever provide a paycheck; perhaps it's time to clean out my Inbox!

No comments: